Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Rose By Any Other Name

"Rachel" means "little lamb" in Hebrew. Jesus is my Good Shepherd, and I am His little lamb. I'm cool with that. But there are just far too many people with the very same name. I mean, it's not like I don't like the name Rachel. I like it. I really do. But it's just too darn COMMON. My siblings and I are grouped into two different categories: cool names and names everyone and their mother has. 
Cool names: Kateri, Savina, Maximilian, Benedict
Names that everyone and their mother has: Rachel, Hannah, Michael
So in rebellion of my parent's unoriginality, I have decided to call myself my both my first and middle name: "Rachel Claire." That way, I get to keep the spot of being Jesus' special little lamb, but I'll also get to be at least slightly different than everyone else. 
To prevent the possibility of my future children having to suffer through boring/overly used name syndrome, I have come up of a list of wonderful and unique saint (or just generally Catholic) names that I will use when it comes to the time when I'll get to name my child. All of my kids will have three names right from birth, just like my brothers Maximilian Kolbe Augustine and Benedict John Paul do. Sebastian James Dominic  and Jacinta Mary Rosaria are definitely going to be my first boy and first girl's names, but the other ones I'll mix and match to see which names I like together. I admit, some of the names are kind of common, but I might just use those names for middle names. I like those names because of the saints that I chose them from. 
Boys:
Sebastian James Dominic 
Francesco
Maximilian Kolbe
Patrick
Xavier Francis
Josiah
Jeremiah
Giovanni Paolo
Augustine
Giuseppe
Raphael
Moses
Clement
Abraham 
Arthur 
Girls:
Jacinta Mary Rosaria
Francesca
Lucia 
Felicity
Philomena
Genevieve 
Marisa
Rose
Faustina
Therese
Bernadette
Trinity
Agnes
Gemma
Joy

2 comments:

  1. Someday I'm going to name my son Wolfstan after one of my favorite English saints ever!
    -Brigid

    ReplyDelete